First: Due to factors like distance from planet Sun and their rotation speed all planets have a different duration in which they complete their journey in one sign and move to other sign. This is known as the transit period. For your reference I have listed the transit period for each planet’s. (I have not considered retrograde motion for this article)
1. Sun: stays in one zodiac for one month and move to another sign other on the 15th day of every month.
2. Moon: Moon goes through all twelve signs in about 28 days which means it takes roughly between 2.5 – 2.8 days in each sign.
3. Mercury: Mercury transits is complicated because it goes into retrograde motion quite often. Mercury takes around 1 year to travel through all 12 Zodiac signs. But its stay in a particular sign ranges from 14 to 30 days.
4. Venus: Just like Mercury, Venus transits duration in a particular sign is not fixed, generally Venus stays for 23 days to a little over 2 months in a sign.
5. Mars: Mars takes about 2 years to travel through all the Zodiac signs and stays in a particular sign for about 1.5 months. But sometimes Mars transit can become unusual like the recent Mars transit in Capricorn where Mars stuck around for 6 months!
5. Jupiter: Wise Jupiter takes about 12 years to travel through all 12 Zodiac signs which means Jupiter stays in a single sign for 1 year.
7. Saturn: Slow moving Saturn takes around 29.5 years to travel through all 12 Zodiac signs which means Saturn transits a single sign for 2.5 years.
8. Rahu and Ketu: These two ALWAYS move in a retrograde motion and take approximately 1.5 years to travel through each Zodiac sign.
These cycles are the foundation of astrology and understanding them will help complete the picture as you move forward in the reading.
Second: It’s vitally important to read transits through the Ascendant chart, I am not saying you should not consider Moon chart but always give more weight to the ascendant chart. If you don’t know your exact birth time then Moon is Okay.The main reason for this is because dasha must be considered from the Ascendant. Dasha and transit work together (so why not review transits from the Ascendant as well). Dasha determines how transits will give results. Keep in mind NOTHING can override the results indicated in your Horoscope!
For example, suppose your rising Ascendant is Gemini and Moon sign is Libra.
If Saturn is transiting Sagittarius it’s in your 6th house. Whereas from the Moon sign Libra Saturn is transiting through the 3rd house. This would reflect different results. As an astrologer I’m sure there are a some complications concerning your 6thhouse of health despite the fact that Saturn was transiting favorably from your Moon Sign.
Steps For Judging Planetary Transits
Interpret based on lordship of transiting planet. (For example: Mars transiting would affect the houses in your chart ruled by Scorpio and Aries.)
Consider The General Effects Of Transit Planet. (For example: Mercury is known to effect communications.)